Since yesterday, I've been thinking about Susan, one of my American friends. I haven't heard from her in years, but the peculiar circumstance of me having to care for a cat brought to my mind her prophecy that one day I would have to help a cat. It has to do with her love for cats, and me not liking them (although this cat is special, all white, with a black tail only, and I've been trying to play with him) and cats liking me a lot (during the trip I met her, I almost had a heart attack waking up one day, in my bed, with a black cat all over me; it belonged to the house owner and was trying to wake me up softly, but my reaction was absolute panic).
Susan is a Jew from Brooklyn, and proud of it, talking about it all the time. Very fat, very tall, very, extremely, happy, one of the nicest persons I've ever met. She would sit on the train, while the rest of the group was taking photos or talking to each other, and she would open her book and read, and from time to time she would look at me and ask: Louisa, are we there yet? - Not yet.- I would reply, and we would both laugh and she would go back to her reading and I would go back to my sightseeing. It was her strange way to travel that impressed everyone (including fellow Americans). She didn't care about landscapes more than two minutes, it didn't matter she was in Europe ( we were touring Scotland ) she only wanted to be there, in the next city, surrounded by people and stuff, always feeling like a New Yorker. No doubt she gave her city a good name.
Well, dear Susan, you were right. I'm feeding a trapped cat. I think I'm there yet!
NOTE: Animals are not my thing, really. Just like my dear father (I miss him so much!), I'm a believer in them keeping their territory in the wild. I love wild horses and dolphins, because they are beautiful and free and not exactly pets to keep in our beds. The tamed ones somehow make me sad. The same with elephants, very special creatures to me. My lovely mother loved giraffes, but I never could see why she called them elegant (tragic, wonderful woman!). I used to have a thing for bears, until the worst Troika in the world (meaning three Russians, literally) turned my life into misery. Not that all bears are Russian, but even the cartoons and toys look dangerous now. The crow is my totem, according to Earth Medicine, and I admire their intelligence. I find piglets cute, perhaps because the Pg/Boar is my Chinese sign. I was very friendly with dogs years ago, until one passed on a contagious disease to me, that left a mark for the rest of my life. So, I tend to keep them at bay ever since. But I'm not in the least condescending with irresponsible owners, like that white cat's old lady, that forced him to live outdoors until he fell into a trap (somehow he´s gone now, but I doubt he'll survive as a stray cat)); or, some days ago, that blind dog, dragged on a leash, stumbling and banging his head against a wall, in such a way I had some harsh words with his mongrel of an owner. Oh, and I really don't like monkeys at all. Unfortunately, they are the closest to humans. Maybe that's the reason there is so much monkey business going around...
P.S. 30 Aug: I'm happy the cat is finally back home again. I'll keep an eye on the old lady to make sure he's as fine as any other pet should be. Otherwise, you can bet she'll be in big trouble. Cheers!
P.S. 20 Oct: The cat jumped from the window again, ten days ago. It looks like he wants to escape the old lady or he wants his freedom at all costs. There is a fence now to protect him from traps, so, let him be. He chose freedom instead of comfort. That's a lesson from a cat. Happy days to him!
NOTE: Animals are not my thing, really. Just like my dear father (I miss him so much!), I'm a believer in them keeping their territory in the wild. I love wild horses and dolphins, because they are beautiful and free and not exactly pets to keep in our beds. The tamed ones somehow make me sad. The same with elephants, very special creatures to me. My lovely mother loved giraffes, but I never could see why she called them elegant (tragic, wonderful woman!). I used to have a thing for bears, until the worst Troika in the world (meaning three Russians, literally) turned my life into misery. Not that all bears are Russian, but even the cartoons and toys look dangerous now. The crow is my totem, according to Earth Medicine, and I admire their intelligence. I find piglets cute, perhaps because the Pg/Boar is my Chinese sign. I was very friendly with dogs years ago, until one passed on a contagious disease to me, that left a mark for the rest of my life. So, I tend to keep them at bay ever since. But I'm not in the least condescending with irresponsible owners, like that white cat's old lady, that forced him to live outdoors until he fell into a trap (somehow he´s gone now, but I doubt he'll survive as a stray cat)); or, some days ago, that blind dog, dragged on a leash, stumbling and banging his head against a wall, in such a way I had some harsh words with his mongrel of an owner. Oh, and I really don't like monkeys at all. Unfortunately, they are the closest to humans. Maybe that's the reason there is so much monkey business going around...
P.S. 30 Aug: I'm happy the cat is finally back home again. I'll keep an eye on the old lady to make sure he's as fine as any other pet should be. Otherwise, you can bet she'll be in big trouble. Cheers!
P.S. 20 Oct: The cat jumped from the window again, ten days ago. It looks like he wants to escape the old lady or he wants his freedom at all costs. There is a fence now to protect him from traps, so, let him be. He chose freedom instead of comfort. That's a lesson from a cat. Happy days to him!